18.1.17

Unplug the noise...


I came across The Minimalists several months ago and I have been following them, listening to them and trying to get a feel of how I can add minimalism into my life.  I know I need to "declutter", not just physical things but in all aspects of my life.  I want to make big changes this year but I need to be mindful and tackle things one at a time.  

Last year I unplugged for a week, yes a whole week and while the thought almost made we want to vomit (such a good reason to unplug don't you think) and I wasn't sure how I would cope with not being able to "keep up" with everyone...  but I am so glad I did.  The first few days were tough, so tough that it shocked me. It was only then did I realise how addicted I was to social media (instagram is my weakness).  I turned off notifications so that I wasn't tempted to check out "just that one post" and so when I picked up my phone (out of habit) there was nothing on my screen, so no temptation was there.

I could write a whole book on my feelings from that week, but to sum it up - SO WORTH IT.

When I came across this post (see below) on Instagram it was a timely reminder to UNPLUG again.  This time however, I am going to schedule it in my diary for one day a week and, I am going to unplug one weekend a month.

With all the technological advances of the past few decades, we’ve become more efficient than ever.  But, of course, with every discrete bit of input from our laptops, tablets, smartphones, earbuds, email apps, and Wi-Fi toasters, our world has grown louder. Noise is an unintentional by-product of productivity.  The more we produce, the more we increase the volume. 

Eventually the noise is so loud we must shout to be heard.  
There are many ways to turn down the volume.

Check social media only once a day
Turn off all notifications, beep, bells, whistles.
Schedule alone time, quiet time free time.
Respond to only the emails that require a response.
Ensure your creations add value, not just noise.
Unfollow, unfriend, mute, block, opt out, let go.
Speak less, meditate more, breathe deeply.

The best way to turn down the volume is to avoid turning it up in the first place.  As with your car stereo, the potential for noise is always there, sure, but the noise itself is present only if we allow it to be -
Only if we rank the knob clockwise.  Otherwise, silence reigns supreme.

(this essay originally published at @Minimalism. Life)

Every Sunday night I am going to schedule in my "unplug" day for the week - I'm looking forward to turning down the noise.

Have a great week
love me :-)

3 comments:

  1. My mother used to say, if we were making a lot of noise as children: "Shhh! I can't hear myself think!". I often remember this. Quiet is good. More power to your elbow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an excellent concept. I am doing this as well and have been for a few months. I have found time to read and just soak up snuggle time on the couch with the pup or hubs. It's been so rewarding! Thanks for the extra encouragement!

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.